Russia’s largest mobile conference reveals year-on-year 40% smartphone growth, 140% tablet growth, and projected 71% growth in mobile gaming by 2016.
Moscow and San Francisco – November 22, 2013 – The largest mobile conference in Russia—and one of the largest mobile events in Europe—Live Mobile! European Mobile Congress has revealed surprising new insights into mobile marketing, mobile hardware, carrier services, and applications.
Speaking at the event, Alisa Chumachenko, founder and CEO of Game Insight — the event’s subject matter expert — said, “For the second year in a row, we’ve acted as an organizer for this conference. And considering the incredible growth of mobile in Europe — especially in Russia — we feel that such events are very important for the development of the industry. Events like Live Mobile! are essential, because we all need to be aware of current changes and share our experiences with each other. Game Insight is happy to be the organizer and subject matter expert for Live Mobile!, and we hope that the event will be even more successful next year.”
A point reiterated by many experts at the conference was the increasing use of smartphones and tablets among younger audiences, and how these users are open to incentivized in-app or cross-promo advertisements. Representatives from mobile analytics agencies, AppAnnie and Flurry, reinforced this point, stating that games are now the leading category driving app store revenue, having increased some 125% in revenue year-on-year since 2012 by way of the now market-dominating in-app purchase business model.
In addition, the Russian mobile application market is projected to see rapid and continued growth in the next three years, with tablet applications projected to grow 109% between now and 2016 (compared to just 86% worldwide). The Russian gaming market in particular is projected to grow 71%, between now and 2016, from 38 million players to an estimated 65 million. And as of September 2013, Russia has become third in combined iOS and Google Play game downloads, only being surpassed by the United States at #1, and China at #2. Specifically, Russia appears to be an extremely desirable market for iPad game developers — some 40% of all iOS games downloaded in Russia were for Apple’s tablet computer, with the Russian mobile game market overall being dominated by strategy and arcade game titles.
Key Insights from Live Mobile! 2013:
- More than 50% of Russian tablet users consume mobile video, daily
- More than 50% of Russian smartphone/tablet users access mobile internet, daily
- More than 50% of Russian mobile users play mobile games, daily
- More than 50% of Russian mobile users are not opposed to incentivized in-app ads
- More than 60% of Russian mobile users access social media via a mobile device- Social network VKontakte is twice as popular as Facebook in Russia among mobile users
Past Twelve Months (2012-2013):
- Russian mobile internet growth: +2.6% iPad, +5.7% iPhone & Android
- Russia’s mobile internet penetration increased 55% overall
- Russian smartphone penetration increased from 12.3M to 17.4M (40% growth)
- Russian tablet penetration increased from 2.5M to 6.0M (140% growth)- Russia has moved up over the past year to become the #3 country in combined iOS and Google Play game downloads
Past Three Years (2010-2013):
- Russian mobile video audiences have grown tenfold, from 2M to 20M
- In comparison, USA mobile video audiences have grown 2.5x, from 30M to 80M
- Russian Java games have decreased in market share 3x; mobile games increased by 20x
Additional: Worldwide Mobile Usage Among Young People:
- 18% of children 8-11 years of age use or have access to a smartphone or a tablet computer
- 62% of children 12-15 years of age use or have access to a smartphone
- 26% of children 12-15 years of age use or have access to a tablet computer
- 42% of children 5-15 years of age user or have access to a tablet; only 14% did in 2012